Find out how to wear press on nails with confidence! Wanna know the best kept secret about wearing press on nails? It's not the glue!
The real secret to preventing press on nails from popping off, is one little 4 letter word: PREP.
Whether you want your nails to stay on for a few hours, or a few weeks, pep is key. Follow our prep routine below for maximum staying power, regardless of the glue you use.
1. First, gather your supplies!
2. Wash your hands with an oil-free soap - think dish soap like Dawn, not hand soap. Dry thoroughly and DO NOT apply lotion or oil.
3. Use your nail file to scuff the surface of your natural nails. Don't apply too much pressure, just enough to scuff the shine away and give the glue something to adhere to.
4. Wipe or brush your nails with rubbing alcohol or acetone to remove any remaining oils or dust.
5. (Optional) Use your prep & bond according to the instructions
6. Use your nail file to scuff the underside of your press on nails. Again, just enough to remove the shine from the inner surface.
Now your nails and your press ons are ready to be applied! Next you'll need to decide how long you want to wear your nails.
For a day: These adhesive tabs are quick and easy to apply, and soak off with warm soapy water.
For a week: After prep, use a natural nail barrier like Orly Rubberized Bonder, or Dashing Diva Nail Savers on your nails. Then use the glue method outlined below. Using a barrier on your natural nail will allow you to use oil and warm water to gently lift the press ons off earlier than glue typically allows, without damaging your natural nails.
For 2 or more weeks: After prep, apply a thin layer of glue to your natural nail, being careful to avoid the cuticles. Then apply a thin layer to the underside of your press on. Line the press on up with your natural nail, press, and hold for 5 or more seconds. Be sure to avoid soaking your hands in water for at least an hour to allow the glue to fully set.
We always recommend keeping some spare glue in case you have an unfortunate pop-off, but using these tips will make sure it's only a very rare thing.
Now you're ready to find your dream nails!
Questions? Join our Facebook Client Community and chat with our artists and other press on nail enthusiasts!
Be sure to follow us on Instagram to get a first look at our newest styles.